Sunday, February 5, 2017

the second step of the writing process (research journal 1)

Since my last post, I have been focusing on specifying my topic. I had originally planned on writing an essay on the correlation between mental health disabilities and academic success. While I still plan on writing my essay roughly around this basis, another idea has occurred to me. The correlation between academics and mental health is very important, but I would also like to include some information on the importance of seeking help in college. I realized that for many people, mental health disorders begin in college, but most do not seek help until after graduation. I am interested in the positive benefits that students experience when they seek help for their disorder earlier in their lives. While people suffering from depression or other disorders may be able to maintain good grades, I think their lives after college are important too. I am interested in a specific age group; people who are college graduates who have been out of school for longer than two years.

While I understand that this is very specific, I think it would add a unique edge to my paper. It would tell the story of the population of students who were affected by the stigma of mental health. It is something that would help break that stigma, and encourage people to seek help when they need it, rather than linger and wait till their condition becomes more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment